Clay Humane reminds families to be careful with pets at Easter


ORANGE PARK – Clay Humane, a nonprofit veterinary clinic serving the county, is offering tips for pet owners to keep dogs and cats safe during Easter.

"While many people celebrate Easter with baskets of treats and special dinners, it is important to remember to keep our pets safe as we celebrate," said Dr. Christian Broadhurst, senior staff veterinarian at Clay Humane. "Taking a few simple precautions can help keep your beloved pets safe during Easter."

Dr. Broadhurst offers the following tips to protect pets:

1.Watch the treats: Chocolate and other candies containing xylitol, raisins or macadamia nuts are poisonous to pets. They can cause gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis, seizures or even death. Give pets a treat designed for them.

2.Avoid Easter grass: The grass often used to line Easter baskets can become lodged in an animal's intestines, causing vomiting, diarrhea or other issues. If you suspect your dog or cat has ingested Easter grass, contact your veterinarian immediately.

3.Avoid some human foods: Many of the ingredients we use to cook Easter dinner such as onions or garlic are poisonous for pets. Do not give your dogs or cats scraps from the dinner table to ensure they don't get sick. Even small scraps of food pets are not accustomed to eating can lead to stomach upset.

4.Monitor drinks: Alcohol is also poisonous to pets. Make sure to keep beer, wine and other alcoholic drinks away from curious dogs and cats.

5.Research before adopting a rabbit: Many people adopt bunnies at Easter but tire of them after realizing they require a lot of care. Prior to bringing home a rabbit, understand bunnies need daily exercise, litter box cleaning each day and special diets. If you decide a rabbit matches your lifestyle, visit a local shelter to find your perfect match.

"Holidays are a great opportunity to spend quality time with your furry friends," Dr. Broadhurst said. "If your pet does ingest something poisonous or experiences vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy, contact your veterinarian immediately.”


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment