Five years ago, 2016
• The Clay County School District overall grade drops from an ‘A’ to a ‘B,’ according to the Florida Department of Education.
• The Green Cove Springs City Council accepts a report from a citizen’s committee to create a mural program to highlight the city’s beauty.
• Kingsley Lake’s Courtney Sexton, Miss Florida, will compete for the Miss America crown.
10 years ago, 2011
• The Green Cove Springs City Council possession a six-month ban on “internet cafes” so it can study gambling emporiums.
• Jim Alabiso swam from Walter Jones Historical Park in Mandarin to Fleming Island Marina in just two hours, two minutes.
• Orange Park Town Council sets its preliminary tax rate at 6.3 mills although it will bring in 5.94% less revenue.
20 years ago, 2001
• The Keystone Heights All-Stars finish ninth in Cal Ripken 12-and-under state championships.
• Officials are planning to soon break ground for Fleming Island High. The school is scheduled to open in the fall of 2003.
• The John P. Hall Children’s Charities honor Pam Harrell and the Fiddler’s Ridge neighborhood in Eagle Harbor with its Good Samaritan Award for collecting food for the charity.
30 years ago, 1991
• The Green Cove Springs Police Department and Clay County Sheriff’s Office arrest 27 in a drug bust that netted the recovery of 265 rocks of crack cocaine during the investigation.
• The City of Green Cove Springs wrestles with how to fund upcoming increases in employee healthcare coverage after employee rates jump 46% and dependents 75% in the past two years.
• Health officials said their demand for the resignation of Mental Health Director Steve Chattfield goes further than “fiscal irresponsibility.”
40 years ago, 1981
• Bobby Knight, a Clay County school teacher and ordained Baptist minister is found murdered in his Green Cove Springs home.
• The county’s purchase of the Rosemary Hill landfill from Green Cove Springs is tabled by BCC because there was no mention of landfill equipment in the original agreement.
• Four people are given five years probation and ordered to pay $500 for peddling porno tapes at the Consumers Warehouse.