PONTE VEDRA BEACH - With 10 FEDEX Cup champions set to compete and 11 past winners schedule to tee off for the Players Championship golf week, March 11-17, promises to offer the best in golf worldwide. The March dates returns to the last March TPC in 2006.
Led by returning champion Webb Simpson of North Carolina, the 2019 golf extravaganza promises another three days of action-packed golf heroics with the likes of Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, Rickie Fowler and Phil Mickelson.
With a $12.5 million purse and a $2.25 million first place prize, plus 600 points to the FEDEX Cup standings, the newly scheduled March dates brings back Simpson and his 10 tournament records tied or set in 2018. Simpson can be the first back-to-back champion if successful this year.
1. Tiger Woods, making his 19th start in the event, has wins at TPC Sawgrass both in March (2001) and May (2013); with a win in 2019, he would tie Jack Nicklaus for most victories in the history of THE PLAYERS (3).
2. Phil Mickelson will make his 26th start at THE PLAYERS, which he won in 2007; he collected his 44th career PGA TOUR win at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am in February
FedExCup leader Xander Schauffele will make just his second start at TPC Sawgrass; in his tournament debut in 2018, he finished T2 after a final-round 67.
3. 2018 results
A look back at THE PLAYERS Championship 2018
1. Webb Simpson (66, 63, 68, 73) 270 (-19)
T2. Charle Schwartzel (68, 66, 73, 67) 274 (-14)
T2. Xander Schauffele (68, 66, 73, 67) 274 (-14)
4. 10 FedExCup champions: Tiger Woods (2007, 2009), Vijay Singh (2008), Jim Furyk (2010), Brandt Snedeker (2012), Henrik Stenson (2013), Billy Horschel (2014), Jordan Spieth (2015), Rory McIlroy (2016), Justin Thomas (2017), Justin Rose (2018).
5. 11 past winners of THE PLAYERS: Tiger Woods (2001, 2013), Adam Scott (2004), Phil Mickelson (2007), Sergio Garcia (2008), Henrik Stenson (2009), Matt Kuchar (2012), Martin Kaymer (2014), Rickie Fowler (2015), Jason Day (2016), Si Woo Kim (2017), Webb Simpson (2018).