Five years ago, 2018 • Orange Park Elementary celebrates its 90th birthday. • The Vineyard Transitional Center holds a fundraising project at Texas Roadhouse in Orange Park to temporarily …
Five years ago, 2018
• Orange Park Elementary celebrates its 90th birthday.
• The Vineyard Transitional Center holds a fundraising project at Texas Roadhouse in Orange Park to temporarily house inmates to learn life and job skills after being released from the county jail.
• Clay County Sheriff’s Office deputy Jacob Hawkins is given the Outstanding Law Enforcement Lifesaving Award by State Attorney Melissa Nelson after he administered life-saving medical relief to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agent who was shot in Oakleaf.
10 years ago, 2013
• Batson-Cook wins a $3.9 million contract to build the new police station in Green Cove Springs.
• Green Cove Springs’ Joseph A. Richmond, 21, wins $1 million with a Florida Lottery scratch-off game ticket.
• The Clay County Bar Association honors Orange Park attorney David King with its Hon. Lamar Winegart Jr. Pro Bono Service Award.
20 years ago, 2003
• More than 1,500 fans stand in line – some for hours – at the Orange Park Walmart to get autographs from Lynyrd Skynyrd ahead of the band’s Vicious Cycle Tour.
• Sleiman Enterprises withdraws its request for rezoning to build a Walgreens on the corner of Rampart and Argyle Forest boulevards.
• Residents along Henley Street in Orange Park plead with the Clay County District Schools to not build a parking lot adjacent to Plainfield Avenue at Orange Park Elementary.
30 years ago, 1993
• The Green Cove Springs City Council votes against forming wastewater and electric committees.
• The Board of County Commission votes to build bicycle and pedestrian paths.
• Commissioners are still working on a way to trim $82,000 from its budget.
40 years ago, 1983
• Them Middleburg High NJROTC conducts its first awards ceremony at Broncos Fields.
• The county commission votes against an additional optional gas tax.
• The Clay High girl's softball team wins the Class 2A state championship.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here